Over 70 billion farmed animals are killed every year by farming industries. In 2013, the total number of animals slaughtered amounted to over a billion which includes pigs, sheep, turkey, ducks, chickens, cattle along with 4.5 billion fish and 2.6 billion shellfish which equates to over 8 billion animals killed in the UK each year. By adopting a vegan diet we can remove ourselves from taking part in their exploitation and death. Each person that adopts the vegetarian diet saves personally up to 50 animals per year and each person that adopts the vegan diet saves up to 95 animals per year. Another way to ensure that we put an end to animal cruelty is by actively searching for cosmetic, hygienic and house cleaning products that are cruelty-free so that no animals have been tested in the process of insuring the safety of the product. Not only is it utterly unsustainable and destroying the global environment on a previous never seen before scale, from an ethical perspective, It is no longer acceptable that we live any other way. There is a great deal of resistance and concern in regard to the vegan diet and whether one can truly garner all of ones nutrients from switching to it. But companies such as ‘Mercy for animals’ , ‘Viva’ & ‘Peta” provide plenty of advice in regard to the steps one can take to adapt to the diet equip with delicious recipes to help new comers. With the rise in dairy and meat alternatives, there is little excuse as to why we can not all slowly make the transition to a pant based diet devoid of animal products that are a result of tremendous cruelty.
Consumers can help by raising their demand for alternatives and recognize the significant impact they will have on aiding only the animals, the environment, indigenous communities around the world, and species that are slowly becoming extinct due to livestock producers. 70% of the amazon rainforest has been destroyed for the sake of grazing cattle and the other 30% is used for soya production for animal feed. The west play a prominent role in this destruction, Europe being one of it’s most keen importers. Animal agriculture is not the only major concern in regard to animal and environmental activists alike. Fish farming has contributed drastically to interfering with our eco system, as it is estimated that 40 million tonnes of fish are killed per year. Author of “why we should go vegan” Magnus Vinding writes that it is estimated that more than 99% of all the billions of non-human animals are raised and killed in the united states, come from factory farms. But regardless as to wether animals are raised in inhumane condition, the author points out that, if we buy flesh, we are inevitably supporting something that we all actively condemn : the needless killing of a sentient being”. The author points out that if we indeed were concerned about human health and life, we should recognize how the consumption of animals inhibits us and our focus should be on abolishing raising, killing and eating animals. He continues to ask us to consider what it is like to live a life where your mother is killed while you are young, a life where you are confined to live in horrific conditions, fed with food that encourages growth rate at an abnormal rate often causing the animal great pain, a life in which you were taken for slaughter, separated from your children who will eventually suffer the same fate. I believe that if the majority of us were aware of the unthinkable torture and pain the animals, that have become the products we so willingly consume have been through, we would immediately awaken to making the connection with the food we eat as something that was once a living, breathing, feeling thing, rather than simply food. In the words of Vinding “we must look to reason, not tradition, in order to find out what we should and should not do”.
About the author
Jwaydan Moyine is a classically trained Film Composer, Pianist, Cellist, Singer/Songwriter, and a Writer and Entrepreneur. She founded Earth Children to bring awareness to matters regarding the Environment, Animal welfare, Sustainable & Conscious living, Wellness & Humanitarian issues. She is heavily involved with activism for animal welfare in the UK and Egypt and child welfare in Syria, Thailand and Romania. She resides in Berkshire Running an organic food farm, an organic skincare company, Writing and bringing awareness to matters regarding the Planet, Plant based nutrition, Cruelty free living & the necessity of adapting to Veganism for the sake of Sustainability, Animal welfare and our Health. She has several qualifications in nutritional therapy, culinary medicine & holistic healing. You can find out more on what she is doing over at the Earth Children Facebook Page!
Follow Jwaydan on Facebook: